Erin Barra, an associate professor at Berklee College of Music and Berklee Online details the Five Dimensions of Touch in Roli keyboards.
Using MIDI Polyphonic Expression, ROLi keyboards lets you have expressive control over every note.
- Strike-Strike to sound a note
- Glide-Glide your fingers from side to side to bend the pitch, simulating the effect of vibrato on a string instrument
- Slide-Slide up and down to modulate a sound — for example, to add brightness, texture, or depth
- Press-Press into the keywaves to deepen sounds, simulating the effect of breath on a wind instrument
- Lift-Lift to change a sound's resonance
One of the biggest recen developments in MIDI is MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE). MPE is a method of using MIDI which enables multidimensional controllers to control multiple parameters of every note within MPE-compatible software.