I have a number of older and a few somewhat newer midi devices that I want to connect to my mac mini through an Alesis io14 Firewire audio/midi interface. I'm looking for advice on the best way to connect everything so that I can have different devices be the master in different configurations.
Hardware (DIN5 midi unless noted otherwise)
Alesis io14 Firewire audio/midi interface
DMC MX-8 6 in/8 out midi patchbay
Behringer BCR2000 control surface (USB)
Midisport 1x1 (USB)
Yamaha DX100 synth
Roland JD800 synth
Roland JV1000 synth
Yamaha TX81Z module
Yamaha FB01 module
Roland SP404 beatbox
Roland R5 drum machine
Roland RC-50 loop station
Alesis MMT-8 midi sequencer
Akai MPKmini keyboard controller (USB)
Korg SQ1 sequencer (USB)
Okay, so that's a bunch of stuff in my studio. I'm trying to set things up so that I can do the following:
1. Have the DAW as midi clock master, but also be able to send midi from the MMT-8 and MPKmini to different sound generators/soft synths.
2. Have the RC-50 as midi clock master (it doesn't play well as slave, anyway), but be able to send midi from the DAW, MMT-8, and MPKmini to different sound generators/soft synths.
3. Have the MMT-8 as midi clock master, but be able to send midi from the DAW and MPKmini to different sound generators/soft synths.
4. In each of the above instances, be able to send midi note input from the JD800, JV1000 and MPKmini to the MMT-8 and the DAW.
Nice to have, but not essential:
1. R5 as midi clock master.
2. SQ1 as midi clock master.
3. SQ1 for midi note input to DAW and MMT-8.
Mac mini <-> Alesis io14 (Firewire), SQ1 (USB), BCR2000 (USB)
Alesis io14 <-> MX-8 (DIN5)
MX-8 <-> JD800, JV1000, R5, MMT-8, RC-50
MX-8 -> MX-200
SQ1 -> analog synths
BCR2000 <-> DX100
MX-200 -> TX81Z -> FB01
MMT-8 -> SP404
(Midisport not currently connected - running out of USB ports!)
I don't think this setup is optimal, but I'm not sure how to configure it better, so any advice would be most appreciated. In particular, I'd like to optimize [device1] -> MX-8 -> io14 -> mac -> io14 -> MX-8 -> [device2]. Can this work (i.e., essentially turning the io14 midi out into a midi thru), or do I need to use a second interface to the mac to do this (e.g., the BCR2000), so that the routing would be [device1] -> MX-8 -> BCR2000 -> mac -> io14 -> MX-8 -> [device2]? Or perhaps midi input to the io14 can be directly sent to out (i.e., it's out port functioning like a thru)?
In any case, grateful for any suggestions.