The MIDI Forum

Resolved Usb to midi?

Votes
Undo
  1. Rob
  2. MIDI Connections
  3. Wednesday, 24 October 2018
  4.  Subscribe via email
I have a keyboard with a usb connection but sadly no midi out port.
Will a simple “USB to midi” lead enable me to use the keyboard to play a sound module with only midi ports?
Cheers
Rob
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hmm, interesting. I've understood (assumed) that the various adaptors USB/Midi are all, in effect, Midi --> USB and they may well NOT work the other way. But, thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that at least some of the adaptors have midi IN and OUT plugs which would indicate that they CAN work the other way, Make sure any one you get has IN and OUT midi plugs! Then it OUGHT to be Midi <--> USB

Geoff
Comment
Votes
Undo
The USB protocol makes a strict distinction between devices and hosts, and allows connections only between each other, but not between the same type.

A USB MIDI device works only with a PC/laptop. The USB cable connectors are designed to work only one way to enforce this restriction.

There are special "USB MIDI Host" devices (made, e.g., by Kenton, Midiplus, and Miditech) that contain a USB host controller, but those aren't cheap.
Comment
Votes
Undo
Yes, you can use a USB to MIDI adapter, but be sure to buy a known brand like Roland or M-Audio etc. The cheap adapters are always problematic.
Comment
  1. John Garside
  2. 3 weeks ago
No, as Clemens pointed out in the previous post, for this 'backwards' operation a special kind of adapter is needed.
  1. Eddie Lotter
  2. 3 weeks ago
Sorry, I wasn't clear.
The USB keyboard would need to be connected to a computer with a standard USB cable.
The sound module would need to be connected to the same computer using a MIDI to USB adapter.
Software on the computer can then route incoming messages from the keyboard to the sound module.
Comment
  1. John Garside
  2. 1 week ago
Yes, this is one of the devices that acts as a USB host and has MIDI ports to allow the function required in the OP.
I believe that Kenton Electronics has a similar product.
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.