The MIDI Forum

1. James Barnes
  2. MIDI Hardware
  3. Sunday, 24 February 2019
  4.  Subscribe via email
I use an iPad Pro 9.7 as a Recording Studio. I Know that the screen is touch sensitive and have noticed that the only synth apps that seem to use that feature are iFretless Bass and iFretless Guitar. The Piano apps I use say they have touch sensitivity but don’t on the touch screen. If I use an external keyboard to run the apps on then voila, touch sensitivity. Could I have somewhere disabled the feature? I’m a huge fan of MIDI and am constantly running across people that say MIDI never sounds real. I tell them that MIDI is amazing and their interpretation comes from having only heard bad MIDI. I tell them that everything within a performance is captured by the MIDI data and that it is so incredible that it completely and accurately records and played back everything that has been played. I would love to be able to record performances directly from the iPad so I could illustrate the power and don’t really want to have to hook an external keyboard up to access the touch sensitive aspects of a performance. Could someone point me in a good direction to access the touch sensitivity with just the iPad?
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Only iPhones have 3D touch; the iPad screen is too large for that technology. Touch sensitivity on the iPad requires some other kind of sensor, such as the Apple Pen.

The iFretless web page says:
A patented algorithm uses the accelerometer accurately detects touch pressure on the screen
Comment
  1. 3 weeks ago
  2. MIDI Hardware
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Thank you for your response. I am baffled then by the iFretless Bass and iFretless Guitar, two iPad apps that have used velocity control. If I touch the screen lightly then the tone is that of a lightly plucked string. Tapping with more force delivers a completely different sound from the app. My question I guess should be if the technology is there to have touch sensitivity on a music app, then why is it not being utilized?
Comment
  1. 3 weeks ago
  2. MIDI Hardware
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Apparently, it's patented. And in any case not built into iOS, so not easy to implement.
Comment
  1. 3 weeks ago
  2. MIDI Hardware
  3. # 3
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.