Register

• The MIDI Messages Forum  Ask and you shall receive

The MIDI Messages Forum
    Ask and you shall receive

1. Tim
  2. Getting Started with MIDI
  3. Tuesday, 27 September 2016
  4.  Subscribe via email
As a drummer, I have to admit that I am a MIDIot (MIDI +Idiot = MIDIot). :)

I began triggering internal sounds back in the 80's, but I never ventured outside of the sound modules that I owned, which means I never learned MIDI. I was just using the early SIMMONS and original ddrum system to add in a few electric sounds like the Simmons pitch bending tom sound tuned really low. I was playing Metal and electronics were not readily accepted.
I have tons of things, like a ddrum2 system, a Yamaha TMX from the 90's, and now I just built a brand new computer using the fastest quadcore Intel processor (4.- something GHz) that I could get with 256Gigs of RAM. I bought some software that quite a few friends have purchased - Mixcraft Studio Pro 7, and since we have moved and I no longer have a soundproofed room to practice in, I began toying with the idea of using n all digital set up to practice at home, so I began purchasing used rubber electric drum pads (mostly Kat and Yamaha) and eCymbals. I'm really excited about getting into this, but I don't know where to start at all, and I don't know anybody who is into this - even the best two keys players I know, don't even mess with MIDI. One of them is a Keith Emerson freak, but he's into "keeping it real" and only uses pre-MIDI gear, which seems really stupid to me. That is like me only playing acoustic drums when electronics and sampling will allow me a whole new world of sounds.

So, where should I start? I almost feel like this stuff is way over my head.

Thanks,

Tim
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer
Eddie Lotter Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
It may feel like you're in over your head because you don't know the basics. I recommend you take your time and get to know MIDI in small chunks, each time building on what you learned previously.

Start with these articles.

Cheers
Eddie
Comment
Ezri Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
i too am a MIDiot :);)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Eddie Lotter Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Ezri, why the down vote? Were the articles not helpful? :o

Cheers
Eddie
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Chris Seddio Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I love Midi, and I hope you do eventually too! The whole point of Midi is to have fun and create music you love! When I started out, I used Babya Logic Pro, an old Midi sequencer that I do not believe works on anything higher than Windows XP.:( What I use now is Anvil Studio, a Sheet music based Midi sequencer that is very simple to us. I don't know much about Mixcraft, but I do know a bit about anvil and I can tell you, once I got used to it, it was the best thing as far as MIDI goes that has ever happened to me! SO try it out, it's completely free.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.