The MIDI Forum

1. Steve
  2. Creating with MIDI
  3. Sunday, 15 November 2020
  4.  Subscribe via email
Is it possible to control transport with midi (stop, start, goto etc). I use cubase and would like to be able to go direct to a location point when a midi key is pressed and go to another when another is pressed. Does anyone know if this is possible? I think it would be very useful for both composing and live. Any ideas?

thanks
steve
.--. . .- -.-. .
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Er.... What do you mean by 'transport'? Are you talking about a car? Or a tape recorder?

Any device receiving midi data must have something to receive and interpret the midi instructions, which are nothing more than a sequence of numbers. Does the whatever you're thinking of have such facilities?

Geoff
Comment
Votes
Undo
oh, im talking about cubase, a music sequencer. The tranport is the cursor position. Stop, start, goto etc...
Comment
Votes
Undo
Aha, that makes sense now. I've never used Cubase - I suppose this is connected with the idea that Cubase is sort of simulating a tape recorder?

To answer my questions, Cubase will certainly be able to receive and respond to midi instructions, as regards music. I take it that you would like midi codes to replace, or maybe cause, computer keystrokes or mouse actions. Reasonable enough. I would have thought that such a facility, if possible, would be detailed in the manual for Cubase?

When you refer to 'pressing a key' are you talking about a key on your computer, or a key on your music keyboard? If the latter, how would the system know that the key pressed was not a note, but was to action something within Cubase?

Geoff
Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!