Register

• The MIDI Messages Forum  Ask and you shall receive

The MIDI Messages Forum
    Ask and you shall receive

1. Bert Marx
  2. The MIDI Association
  3. Monday, 10 April 2017
  4.  Subscribe via email
I think some of the questions in the MIDI-Quiz are not so unambiguous as they shoulkd be:

-"MIDI Clock contains information about the tempo of the device that’s transmitting the message. True or false?"
In my understanding this is false, because MIDI Clock is a simple status byte without any further information 'inside'.
The tempo information is given by the MIDI Clock's timing (speed), but not by the clock data itself.

- The question containing the max length of a MIDI Cable should be asked in other words. In practice MIDI cables
can be VERY long (depending on the signal quality and the enviroment. 15 meter may be a good recommendation;
but it is simply not true, that longer cables won't work.

Agree?
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Michael Rideout Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I did, too, and felt that some of the other questions suffered from imprecise or confusing wording. Example, what's the largest number that can be stored in a byte? The answer was 256, but it really should have been 255, since it takes 2 bytes to store a value of 256 ($01 $00). Since 255 wasn't one of the possible choices, I was able to choose the "correct" answer, but really either the question should have been "How many different values can be stored in a byte?" or the multiple-choice answers should have included 255 rather than 256. :)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. The MIDI Association
  3. # 1
Bob Lee Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I missed both of those questions, for the exact reasons you stated.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. The MIDI Association
  3. # 2
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.