Register

• The MIDI Messages Forum  Ask and you shall receive

The MIDI Messages Forum
    Ask and you shall receive

1. Donald
  2. MIDI Specifications
  3. Friday, 11 August 2017
  4.  Subscribe via email
I am trying to understand the structure of the Set Tempo command FF 51 03 tttttt.
My reference is The Complete MIDI 1.0 Detailed Specification version 96.1.

On page 141/142, there is an example of a tempo of 500000 microseconds/quarter being represented by the following bytes: 07 A1 20.
However, A1 has the following bit pattern: 10100001. The most significant bit is set to 1.

On page 38, it describes data bytes as having 8 bits with the most significant bit set to binary 0 and on page 130, it describes data as being nibble-ized and 7-bit-ized.
I would be grateful if this apparent anomaly could be clarified as I am developing a Java program in which I need to know if I should be treating 7 or 8 bits of these bytes as data.
  Glasgow, UK
Visit 
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer
Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
The parameter number (tttttt) is a 24 bit unsigned integer, in big endian format.

"Set tempo" is a meta-event, belonging to the SMF specification. It applies only to Standard MIDI Files, and like the other meta-events are not supposed to be transmitted over the wires on real time. On the other hand, the Data Byte description that is confusing you applies to the over-the-wire protocol.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. MIDI Specifications
  3. # Permalink
Donald Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Pedro,
Many thanks for your quick response.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. MIDI Specifications
  3. # 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.