Register

• The MIDI Messages Forum  Ask and you shall receive

The MIDI Messages Forum
    Ask and you shall receive

1. Steve
  2. Creating with MIDI
  3. Monday, 21 August 2017
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hi - I'd be really grateful for any help with this.

I've recently bought a Kawai N37 digital piano. I want to control this using Cubasis2 on iPad.

I have a seven track project which works fine with the Cubasis internal instruments. When I set the midi outs (on Cubasis) to seven tracks on my piano, which has a 16 track multitimbre facility and 350 instruments, I can hear all seven tracks but they are each played by the default piano sound. I'm looking for a way to tell it to use different instruments on each track.

I also use a Korg microstation. This works fine with the cubasis as I'm able through the display to say which sounds on the Korg I want to use. The Kawai doesn't seem to have these features which is why I'm looking to Cubasis to do it.

Any help much appreciated
Thanks
Steve
  East Sussex, UK
Visit 
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Geoff Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hello,
Seems like the Dig Piano - Kawai - is not recognising, or not receiving, Program Change instructions.

You need to check that the Kawai is able to receive PC (Program Change) and that it uses the normal codes. You need also to make sure that the Instrument number is appropriate (i.e. the Software process may use GM patch numbers, the Kawai may use something else).

You have the manuals!

If the Korg DOES work, then seems PC commands are being sent.

If you can save the data as a midi file, and send me it, I can look inside and see EXACTLY what's there. That would be a help.

Also, check the Patches/Instruments you are using. Is the Patch ## the same for all three units (Software, Kawai, Korg) - check this in the manuals. However, if this was the total answer, I'd expect the Kawai to be playing different things on each channel, even if the wrong things, but not the SAME patch on ALL channels.

Geoff
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Creating with MIDI
  3. # 1
Geoff Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Just looked at manual on line for kawai CN37. Is it CN37, you originally put N37?

According to Program/Instrument numbers, the Program change system is different on the unit. Almost all settings require a BANK select AND a Program Number. So the Kawai needs two commands. The other units prob work fine with one command (Program Change) only.

Geoff
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Creating with MIDI
  3. # 2
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.