I'm currently a student in product design in the US, and for my thesis project I am looking to design a MIDI controller that will encourage brand new users to easily jump into the world of music creation. I myself am a relatively new user (less than a year), but I have been blown away by the flexibility and possibilities to create music with MIDIs. I was thrilled to find that this community exists, and I was hoping to ask you guys a few questions as I continue with my research.
1. What are you using your MIDI controller for primarily? (controlling synthesizers or other instruments, mixing, controlling digital instruments?)
2. What are your reactions to less traditional MIDI controllers, specifically entry level models like the ROLI Blocks? (https://roli.com/products/blocks
) Do you think they are useful tools for brand new users?
3. If you had to pare down a controller to the absolute basics, what is the most important feature for an entry level MIDI to have?
- 16 note keyboard?
- velocity control interactions?
- something else?
4. If you could recommend one existing controller to an absolute musical beginner, which one would you recommend and why?
Thank you all in advance for your help, I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!